Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Translation



Below is one example that I took from the film "Nothing to hide". On its basis, I will analyze his translation.

French version:

– Tu regardes toutes les photos ?
- Ben : Ouais. I’ai même fait un pêle- mêle.
- Marco : Un quoi ? Un pêle- mêle ?
- Ben : ouais.
- Marco : Les gars. Il a dit « pêle- mêle » ? On dit ça encore aujourd’hui ?

English version: 
 – Are you really looking at all the pictures?
- Ben : Yeah, I even made a hodge- podge.
- Marco : A what ? A « hodge- podge ? »
- Ben : Yeah.
- Marco : Did he say « hodge- podge ? » Do people still say that? 

pêle-mêle- Vieux. Mélange confus de choses ou de personnes. Un pêle-mêle d'objets sans nom.


hodge- podge- a confused mixture of different things

As you can see, word: pêle- mêle is no more use in current french. As we can read on the page below, a word "hodge-podge" is still use in current english. So why translator used this form if the context of the speech emphasized this word, which in the original is treated as obsolete? In my opinion, you can talk about a translation error here.
Assuming that I don't speak French, this statement becomes completely vague and meaningless if I receive it only through subtitles in English.

https://culinarylore.com/food-history:origin-of-hodgepodge/

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life with a mountainbiker